In the port city of Saint John - the only city on the shores of the Bay of Fundy - history, culinary delights, outdoor adventure, and a vibrant arts and culture scene meet on its historic uptown streets. Lined with preserved redbrick and sandstone 19th-century architecture, Saint John has a distinct character with plenty of urban experiences. No wonder it’s known as #SaintAwesome.
Max out your summer fun at these Saint John must-see and must-do spots...
For outdoor adventure…
· Head to Irving Nature Park where prime beachcombing, bird-watching, trails, and look-outs await.
· Take to the sky at the newly opened Timbertop Adventures, a treetop aerial and adventure park in Dominion Park just minutes from uptown.
· Hike, bike, or drive the Fundy Trail Parkway and check out the stunning views, beaches, lookouts, and suspension bridge.
· Explore the Fundy Tidal Beach at New River Beach Provincial Park. The park is the perfect spot to camp, admire coastal islands, and kayak the Bay of Fundy.
For some quality R&R…
· A thermal therapy spa located on the Bay of Fundy, Chance Harbour Nature Spa has a wood-burning sauna, waterfalls, and a hot pool.
· Nestled within Stonehammer UNESCO Global Geopark you’ll find Pangea Wellness Spa, located in Rockwood Park.
For a dash of entertainment...
· A shipping container village on the waterfront is where the Area 506 Festival, a celebration of all things New Brunswick music, culture, and goods, takes place. Free access and family-oriented festival during the day and 19+ ticketed shows in the evening. Line-up includes July Talk, Glorious Sons, and Arkells. August 4-5.
· Now in its 27th year, Buskers on the Bay brings thousands to the Market Square Boardwalk for free entertainment from international buskers. July 18-22.
· See what this year’s Third Shift pop-up contemporary art event will be. Held for one night in uptown Saint John. August 17.
· Enjoy free entertainment offered seven days a week on the Market Square Boardwalk including concerts and a variety of activities including a lumberjack show this summer. Dates TBD.
For something delish…
· In the most Instagrammable alley in the city, you’ll find Rogue Coffee as well as many pop-up events like Moonlight Bazaar and Third Shift.
· Owned by celebrity chef Jesse Vergen, the Saint John Ale House pairs great eats and brews with a prime waterfront location on the Market Square Boardwalk.
· Opened in 2017 in a historic building on Germain Street, Italian by Night is the place to go for authentic Italian.
· No visit to the port city is complete without a visit to the Saint John City Market. The oldest continuously operated farmers’ market in North America, here you can find seafood, meats, cheeses, bread, a variety of yummy international fare, and much, much more.
For family fun…
· Kick up the exhilaration at Timbertop Adventures and go play in the treetops of this aerial and adventure park.
· Best place to see whales on land? The New Brunswick Museum, of course! You’re guaranteed to see the giants of the sea in the Hall of Great Whales.
· Witness the world-famous Reversing Falls Rapids from a glass skywalk at Skywalk Saint John.
For a bit of quirkiness…
· The world-famous Reversing Falls Rapids are in #SaintAwesome – where the powerful Bay of Fundy tides collide with the mighty Saint John River.
· Saint John is also known as #SaintAwesome so tag all your adventures while you’re here!
· You won’t be going downtown because we call that “uptown” in Saint John.
· Music, classic arcade games, beer, and cocktails are all waiting for you at Eighty Three Bar Arcade.
For the best Instagram pics…
· Home of Rogue Coffee and YukYuks, Grannan Street is one spot that’s always ready for its closeup.
· With public art and water views, Harbour Passage will get the hearts (and likes) flying.
· Coming in late July is #SalmonRun2dot0, a public art installation of 10 six-foot salmon sculptures.
· For a taste of the city’s history and architecture, take a walk down to the water on Princess Street.
For places to stay…
Whatever your vacation style, there’s a place to stay to match. Enjoy the charm of the Shadow Lawn Inn, a full-service hotel like the Hilton Saint John, or stay in the great outdoors at Rockwood Park Campground. Find your perfect accommodation here.