Published June 2018
Overlooking the Petitcodiac River, Hillsborough is located between Moncton and The Hopewell Rocks in south-eastern New Brunswick. It serves as a gateway to the Fundy tidal zone. Home to a railway museum, colonial mansion, and trails that take you along dykes and sweeping marshes, this village isn’t short on charm. Take the aptly named Discovery Road from Hillsborough towards Fundy National Park and you’ll arrive at the iconic Hopewell Rocks where world’s highest tides will wow you.
Max out your summer fun at these Hillsborough must-see and must-do spots...
For outdoor adventure...
· Take a walk on the ocean floor and see the power of the world’s highest tides at The Hopewell Rocks.
· Atlantica Outdoor Recreation Centre takes playing Paintball, Splat-Master, and Airsoft to a new level.
· Hit the local walking and hiking trails to explore the terrain around duck ponds and dykes.
· Enjoy 18 scenic and challenging holes at the Hillsborough Golf Club.
· Broadleaf Ranch offers a variety of summer activities including horseback riding through woodlands and along marshlands.
· Head out with Baymount Adventures on a scenic and relaxing hike and mountain bike ride in the Shepody National Wildlife Area, one of the most spectacular and scenic landscapes in the upper Bay of Fundy.
· Connect with the rugged coastal landscape, ocean, and the wide-open sky of Fundy National Park.
For some quality R&R…
· Kick back and relax at the park and pond next to the Artisan Village then head inside the bright and colourful buildings to shop for treasures, artwork, and wares from local artisans and craftsmen.
For a dash of entertainment...
· Take part in the various events going on for Hillsborough Homecoming Days, including the Garden Party and opening ceremony at the Steeves House Museum on July 18-21.
· Enjoy the musical stylings of The Rocky Cape Band every Thursday night at the Kiwanis Club at 7:00 p.m.
For something delish…
· Home of the Cinnamon Soul Cinnamon Bun, Cinnamon Soul Café offers a full menu of fresh, homemade food with local ingredients along with specialty coffee.
· Oliver’s German Bakery is located in the heart of Hillsborough. Here, you’ll find healthy and fine traditional German breads and pastries made daily with organic and kosher ingredients.
For family fun…
· Step back in time at the Steeves House Museum with costumed, guided tours of this charming Colonial mansion’s thirteen rooms, as well as well as the nearby Saint Mary’s Anglican Church.
· All aboard to learn about New Brunswick’s extensive railway history at the New Brunswick Railway Museum.
· Play at the Artisans Village Park on Steeves Street.
For a bit of quirkiness…
· See the VOODOO Aircraft-CF 101 Fighter Jet that’s on display at the Steeves Street parking lot.
· At the end of Steeves Street, see the old water tower.
· Walk or drive down the dirt road at the end of Steeves Street to see the old gypsum silos next to the dykes.
For the best Instagram pics…
· Take some shots around the duck ponds located on Steeves Street and the Golf Club Road.
· Capture the breathtaking colours the sun going down over the marsh and dykes.
For places to stay…
Whatever your vacation style, there’s a place to stay to match. Enjoy the 18th-century charm of Victoriana Steeves Homestead Bed & Breakfast, a full-service motel like The Hopewell Rocks Motel & Country Inn, or stay in the great outdoors at Ponderosa Pines Campground. Find your perfect accommodation here.