In the south-western corner of New Brunswick, along the rugged Bay of Fundy, you’ll find the Charlotte Coastal Region which touches the U.S. border. While you’re here, you’ll want to stroll the charming downtown of Saint Andrews, enjoy some Ganong chocolate in St. Stephen, go island-hopping through the Fundy Isles, and explore the four provincial and international parks.
Max out your summer fun at these Charlotte Coastal Region must-see and must-do spots...
For outdoor adventure…
· Canoe through beautiful wilderness along the U.S./Canada border on the St. Croix River, a Canadian Heritage River.
· Head out to meet the giants of the sea on a whale-watching tour.
· See the island beloved by late U.S. President Franklin Roosevelt and see his family’s summer home at Roosevelt Campobello International Park.
For some quality R&R…
· Plunge into hydrotherapy at Spa Chance Harbour.
· Get disconnected from the web and reconnected with nature at the Castalia Marsh Retreat.
· Get in touch with your inner artist with a workshop at Sunbury Shores.
For a dash of entertainment...
· The Summers End Folk Festival on Grand Manan Island is founded on creativity, the arts, and music... and guarantees good times.
· The Between the Tides summer concert series on Ministers Island features acts throughout the summer like Dana Sipos, Catherine MacLellan, Bill Stevenson Trio, and The Hypochondriacs.
· Enjoy a summer concert series with Symphony NB and Kingsbrae International Residence for the Arts at Kingsbrae Garden.
For something delish…
· Chef Chris Aerni creates an ever-changing, locally sourced menu that is the crowning jewel of the Rossmount Inn and the gastro scene in Saint Andrews.
· Chef Lisa Aronsen creates tasty food fusions in an upscale pub atmosphere featuring Picaroons brews at the 5 Kings Restaurant and Picaroons Brewhouse in St. Stephen.
· The newest culinary experience in Saint Andrews, the Chandler Room at Treadwell Inn, combines wine, whiskey, and sustenance with beautiful views of the harbour from indoors and outside on their waterfront patio.
· Step back in time with friends to enjoy a “proper” tea in the historic Tara Manor Inn, featuring pastries and delectable goodies created on site by pastry chef Britney Andrews.
For family fun…
· There’s tons to do as a family in the Charlotte Coastal Region and here are nine must-do activities you won’t want to miss!
For a bit of quirkiness…
· See over 20 of the very best lumberjacks/lumberjills show off their strength, skills, agility, grace, and pure endurance at the International Lumberjack Festival. July 14.
· Enjoy Chocolate Fest, a week-long, family-oriented festival celebrating all things chocolate in St. Stephen. August 4-11.
· Campobello Island is connected to Lubec, Maine, via a bridge - talk about close neighbours!
· Visit a part-time island! Ministers Island can only be reached at low tide by driving or walking over the ocean floor.
For the best Instagram pics…
· There’s nothing like a Charlotte Coastal Region sunset! Some of the best spots for snaps include “The Whistle” on Grand Manan, the wharf in Saint Andrews, and New River Beach.
· Swallowtail Lighthouse, Grand Manan = iconic.
· Marvel at the beautiful St. George Gorge from above and below the falls.
· When hopping on or off the Grand Manan Ferry, make sure to stop in Pea Point Nature Preserve in Black’s Harbour.
For places to stay…
Whatever your vacation style, there’s a place to stay to match. Enjoy the charm of the Casa Breeze Inn, a full-service hotel like the Algonquin Resort, or stay in the great outdoors at Hole-in-the-Wall Park & Campground. Find your perfect accommodation here.