Published May 2019
When was the last time you cast a line amidst the calming waters of a world-class river? Or recounted the day’s fishing tales over a crackling campfire? New Brunswick’s rivers, lakes, and saltwater coastlines offer fishing experiences that rival the best in the world.
As any angler will tell you, the Atlantic salmon is king of the game fish. People come here from around the world in search of this prize catch. In fact, they’ve been doing it for generations.
The experience is about more than just the fishing. It’s the connection to nature, the comradery with friends, the nurturing of a new skill.
New Brunswick’s many outfitters and licensed fishing guides are at the ready to help you hone your talent – and land the big one.
New Brunswick fishermen can get pretty fancy with their salmon flies. And pretty creative with their names. Ever heard of a Same Thing Murray or a Green Machine White Tail? How about a Rusty Rat or Butterfly Green Butt?
But don’t let the salmon frenzy fool you – there’s plenty of other fish to be found: Smallmouth bass, shark, shad, brook trout, chain pickerel, landlocked salmon, white perch, yellow perch and more all call our waters home. Even the humble gaspereau is a fascinating part of our culture.
You don’t need to be an experienced fisher to have fun in New Brunswick waters (though if you are, it’s a bucket list destination). Here are some of the ways you can cast a line in NB:
- Retreat at Wilson's Sporting Camp
- Bass Attack Kayak Fishing
- Wild Atlantic Salmon Fishing with Upper Oxbow Adventures
- Fish the Private Pools at Country Haven Lodge
- Sturgeon and Caviar Safari
- Rod and Reel Fish with Whales Tour with Spear’s Fishing and Charter
- Shark Fishing with St. Andrews Sport Fishing
Just for Kids
- Come Play on our River at the Atlantic Salmon Museum, Doaktown
- Killarney Lake Youth Fishing Tournament, Fredericton
Local Fishing Events
- Rapala Bass Tournament, May 11-September 29
- NB Paddlers Fishing Series, May 18-August 31
- Miramichi Striper Cup, May 24-26
- Fish New Brunswick Days, June 1-2 (no license required)
- Bathurst Catch’n Kayak Striped Bass Fishing Tournament, June 29-30
- Fishing for Memories, June 22
- B1 East Coast Series Bass Fishing Tour, May 9 - October 4
To find out about more activities and events in the province, follow the New Brunswick Sport Fishing Association (NBSFA) on Facebook.
🎣 🎣 🎣